Monday, September 28, 2009

Paul Rand's IBM logo, 1972 (International/"Swiss" Style)

IBM logo
1972
Paul Rand
International Style / "Swiss" Style

A revision of Rand's original logo design from 1956, the three solid letters are sliced into eight horizontal bars, giving them a fast, dynamic look. Paul Rand was one of the most influential designers of the 20th century.
Personally, they remind me of scan lines on a monitor, or an old printer from the 80s. The nostalgia factor for me increases quite a bit when considering that I remember booting up our classroom IBM computers in school from a light blue 3.5" floppy disk. Even though it's one of the most easily recognizable logos out there, I'm surprised I hadn't given more thought to the way it looks, such as counting the number of lines in the logo. Maybe it was something I'd counted as a little kid, but I must have forgotten it at some point. In any case, it's an important logo from a design history standpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment